5 Sustainability Principles for marine cultured pearls
Sustainability Principles for Marine Cultured Pearls. Version 2, July 2014.
1) PROTECTION OF THE BIOSPHERE
We will safeguard all habitats in which we operate. We will strive to conserve or in some instances restore biodiversity, ecosystem structure, and ecosystem services. We will promptly and responsibly correct conditions we have caused that endanger the environment.
2) SUSTAINABLE USE OF NATURAL RESOURCES
We will use natural resources responsibly. We will make sustainable use of renewable natural resources and conserve non-renewable natural resources through efficient use and careful planning.
3) PRODUCTION TRANSPARENCY AND PRODUCT DISCLOSURE
We will be transparent in our pearl production practices, provenance claims, and product marketing representation.
4) DEVELOP AND OPERATE FARMS IN A SOCIALLY AND CULTURALLY RESPONSIBLE MANNER
We will operate in a socially responsible manner with local communities.
5) MANAGEMENT COMMITMENT AND LOCAL LAW COMPLIANCE
We will implement these principles and sustain a process that ensures that company management is responsible for environmental policy. We will comply with all local laws.